Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dyslexia: Message from a Teacher who is Dyslexic

Rocky Perry wrote his first book back in 2009 while he was studying Early Childhood Education at Dalton State College.

He has always tried to do the things that are hardest for him. He learned to read and write later than most people due to his Dyslexia, which was diagnosed with in the early eighties.

Writing a book, like getting his degree, presented some unique challenges. This first book was written using Dragon Naturally Speaking speech to text software.

He did finish the book and when he looked back at all the things he'd learned from the experience, he knew he had to keep writing.

"In the early eighties I was diagnosed with Dyslexia. It wasn’t until sixth grade that I learned to read. Most every book I read before thirty was an audio book and school was always a huge struggle."

"At thirty six, I am a college graduate, a teacher, author of several books, and a father of three great kids. I am doing the best I can. Dyslexia is still a struggle."

"I give a lot of credit to people who have helped me along the way, and of course technology. Without technology I am certain I would not have made it through high school, much less any of the other endeavours I have accomplished in my life."

Read more about Rocky on his blog: Mom, My Teacher is Dyslexic

We do not endorse any product or service on this blog but we do encourage you to become familiar with technology that can act as a tool and help you overcome the difficulties you face when managing your Dyslexia.

No comments:

Post a Comment